Monday 25 January 2021

Adapting a sketch

Good morning

Today I have got a layout I created using a sketch by Allison Davis. Allison has a series on YouTube where she uses one sketch and creates 5 or 6 layouts adapting that sketch to suit her photos. I find it very informative. If you would like to see how Allison has adapted this sketch you will find her video here

This is Allison's sketch


and this is my layout.
You can see I have rotated the layout one turn to the right and turned the banner strips into a Christmas tree. This idea was taken straight out of Allison's video.


To create the Christmas tree I cut strips of Colour Blast's Arty Farty patterned paper that I had left over from the other layouts I have created this month. I cut a tall triangular shape from a piece of printer paper and used that as a guide to build the tree. I trimmed each piece to length, cut a fishtail in each end and then added some machine stitching to each piece. I created more pieces than I needed to make the base layer of the tree because I wanted to foam mount several pieces on the tree to give it lots of dimension. I also inked the edges of each strip so each piece would stand out from the other.
I found another scrap and cut it to shape to use as the base of the Christmas tree. I had not stitched around this piece so I used a black pen and drew some faux stitching on it.


To create the stars for the tree top and the banner that goes across the top of the page I used my Nellie's Multiframe Star die. I cut one each of the four smallest stars to create the tree topper and nine each of the smallest and second smallest stars for the banner.
Each of these stars were inked and then layered on top of each other with a foam square between each layer.


Now let's talk about the layers of the layout.

The background is Basic Grey - Serenade - Dowager which is 12" x 12"
Next layer up is Core Colour - Mediterranean which is 10.75" x 10.75"
Next is Basic Grey - Serenade - Parlor which is 10.5" x 10.5"
The top layer is Core Colour - Mediterranean which is 9.5" x 9.5"

All of these layers were attached to each other then I stitched around the edge of them with my sewing machine.

The photos are of some of my Christmas tree decorations this year. I trimmed them down so they were a total size of 4" x 9", filed around the edge of them with an emery board and attached them vertically on the right hand side of the top layer

The Christmas tree was added along side the photos and the banner stars were added at the top of the layout.

My title is the year because I thought the content of the photos was fairly well self explanatory. I used my Die-Namics High Rise Numbers die to cut the 2020 out of the Parlor paper.

The final touch was to add Glossy Accents to all of the small stars and the title.

If you would like to see this page come together here is a video for you..



Till next time
Stay safe
Hugs
Julie

1 comment: