Saturday 3 August 2019

Design: Why'd you do that?

Every wondered why something works one way and not another? Looked at something and thought it just feels off? Only to move it around and create something that feels like it 'fits'? Hopefully these posts will help you to figure that out...

You might have seen this layout in my post about stash-busting your frames in my post at the end of July- here's where I started. I knew I wanted this background paper because it was bold and simple and the blues and white matched with the clothing we were wearing that day.


I tried the paper this way first. I liked the way the photo had a home nested in the diagonals but it didn't 'feel' right because the bottom of my photos was dark as was the bottom of the paper- it left things feeling all a bit bottom heavy and with the light in the trees behind us and the white paper the top half was washed out.



Then I tried it this way but actually it had a similar effect because Will and I both have dark blue on so we're heavy on the right and Tama and Kieran in the white make the left too light. I knew what I needed to do after that but I tried one more way first for the purpose of this post.


In this view I felt like the page wasn't going to be balanced enough- too top heavy and the white at the bottom makes my photo feel like it's kind of 'floaty' not anchored or grounded.



So here's what I went with in the end the dark blue on the left tones down the brightness of my white wearing sons and the white lightens me and Will up just enough. The photo still has a nice home and the lines in the paper pull your eyes to the people in the photo by 'pointing' at almost everyone.

And here's the final page again...


The addition of the frames adds some more balance to my lights and darks and the gold adds a really good point of contrast and interest to the page- it also gives your eyes a place to rest on a page that has a lot going on- with six people and all those frames and flowers. 

So maybe next time you can't figure out why something feels off maybe check the balance, visual weight, light/dark balance, and anchoring and see if the problem lies there.

No comments:

Post a Comment